HR Manager - Brampton, Walker Drive
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The Human Resources Manager leads and influences the HR activities at our facility in Brampton, located on Walker Drive. The incumbent has direct accountability for ensuring that the Human Resources planning and results (Labour Relations, Performance Management, Talent Management, Recruitment, Recognition, Training and Development, Engagement and Communication) are aligned to meet business needs within a unionized environment. This leader should clearly know and understand the value of maximizing employee discretionary performance, through an engaging leadership style. They should clearly understand that sustainable long term results can only be achieved through a team that understands and focuses their energy on the key objectives that drive success, has the skill set needed to execute against the business need, and has a high desire to contribute and win.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- • Influence key stakeholders to ensure alignment, support and delivery of all people initiatives and programs
- • Deliver HR advisory services, direction and support to leaders, management and staff in areas such as employee development, performance management, human rights, employment law, policy interpretation and conflict resolution
- • Provides advice and guidance in all Labour Relations matters, including grievance/dispute resolution, interpretation and application of the CBA and all disciplinary matters
- • Assists in Bargaining preparation by completing the Pre- bargaining Risk assessment, working with management to develop a set of proposals and is a key member of the bargaining team
- • Provide coaching and leadership to the plant Human Resources team
- • Facilitate execution of organizational development and change management initiatives, which will drive cultural change
- • Primary deliverables include tools and interventions in the areas of performance management, work environment practices, rewards and recognition, retention, leadership development, compensation, employee development and advancement, diversity and employee satisfaction
- • Ensure that HR key performance indicators such as attendance, turnover and retention are tracked and monitored
- • Develops and drives the execution of an annual HR Plan for the facility which focuses on the delivery of key Plant and Corporate HR initiatives
- • Facilitate execution of plant operations and corporate programs such as succession planning, orientation, and performance reviews and personal development objectives planning
- • Drives continuous improvement activities related to Human Resources
- • Other duties as assigned
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
The successful candidate will be results-oriented, thrive in a fast paced, demanding environment, and have the ability to develop positive working relationships with all employees. Candidates must have:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- • Post-secondary degree with a concentration in Human Resources, Commerce or Business Administration
- • CHRL designation is preferred
- • Minimum eight to ten years previous related experience with at least five years’ management experience within a unionized manufacturing environment
- • A well-developed HR Professional with a solid Generalist and Change Management background
- • A proven track record of proactively managing the Labour/Management relationship
- • Passionate about coaching, mentoring and developing people to achieve positions of greater responsibility
- • Strong business and operational acumen particularly within manufacturing and/or food processing
- • Demonstrated initiative, drive and leadership; excellent communication skills
- • Results orientated, able to work as part of a functional team; must be an exceptional fit with our Maple Leaf Leadership Edge Core Values
- • Excellent planning and organizational skills, possess the ability to manage multiple priorities
- • Strong problem solving skills, communication and interpersonal skills
- • Ability to make procedural decisions and judgments involving sensitive and confidential issues under stressful conditions
- • Advanced skills with Microsoft Office and HRIS systems including SAP
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.