A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Responsible for inspecting and examining machinery and equipment to detect and investigate irregularities and malfunctions
- Responsible for repairing and/or replacing machinery parts
- Install, troubleshoot, repair and maintain power transmission, pump, vacuum, hydraulic and pneumatic systems
- Interpret blueprints, diagrams, schematic and drawings to determine work procedures and/or order necessary parts
- Perform set up of equipment according to production needs, including change overs
- Perform department PMs, including but not limited to cleaning, lubricate and other routine maintenance work
- Follow all safety and food safety training and department SOPs
- Perform basic level welding including TIG welding, brazing, flame cutting and electric arc welding in the flat and horizontal positions
- Perform building and property maintenance as required
- Participate in spare parts control system and follow all department rules and regulations
- All mechanics are responsible for housekeeping and cleaning maintenance shop and area clean – including metal rack, outside scrap bins and welding station
- Minimize production downtime by responding to production calls promptly
- Assist with troubleshooting and repairs of production equipment in a safe, food safe and timely manner
- Completion of required preventative maintenance duties, work orders and equipment checks
- Actively contribute to the preventative maintenance program by providing recommendations for improvement
- Efficient production equipment set up, inspection and shutdown of all related equipment when required
- Competently operate and monitor any mechanical controls on equipment.
- Move tools, equipment and other materials to and from work areas.
- Participate on general facility repairs
- Ensure that all equipment maintenance and modifications are conducted to minimize cross contamination and ensure product quality and safety
- Comply with all regulations relating to equipment and chemical approvals within a food manufacturing facility
- Take active role in dismantling and assembling equipment and machines for deep cleaning
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to read, write and communicate in English
- Computer Skills and knowledge of MS Office Applications
- Ability to read, record and document information (Audits, PO’s, Inventory Management, Contractor support, Special projects)
- Interact and share information with employees at all levels (Team members, Lead Hands, Supervisors, Maintenance Manager, Others). Actively participates in their work group.
- Actively finds new and improved ways of completing tasks. Is willing to try new things and assume additional responsibilities (assists with changeovers, keeps up with line speed requirements, assumes the initiative)
- Employees must posses a mechanical aptitude and be mechanically inclined
- Proven positive attitude with a willingness to learn, Reliability is extremely important
- Posses a sense of urgency, able to work with minimal supervision, a self-starter who is able to multi-task and change priorities
- Please note that the start times, scope and duties of this position may change periodically
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.