Considering a Career at Maple Leaf Foods?
Maple Leaf Foods is Canada’s leading consumer-packaged protein company, headquartered in
Toronto, Ontario. We make high-quality, great tasting, nutritious and innovative food products under leading brands including Maple Leaf®, Maple Leaf Prime®, Maple Leaf Natural Selections®, Schneiders®, Schneiders Country Naturals® and Mina™. Our Company employs approximately 11,500 people in its operations across Canada and exports to more than 20 global markets including the U.S. and Asia.
Our people are passionate about the work they do and the products we make. As we move forward, we are determined to leverage their integrity and passion to continue to build a high-performing, values-based company enabled by high-performing, motivated and talented people.
JOB TITLE: Health and Safety Coordinator
LOCATION: Maple Leaf Foods – Bradford Poultry Facility
REPORTS TO: Health, Safety, Security and Environment Manager
The Health and Safety Coordinator will report to and assist the Health, Safety, Security and Environment (HSSE) Manager in the ongoing development and enhancement of the facility’s health, safety, security and environment program. This involves providing technical support, training, implementation, and maintenance of the program for all employees and visitors. They will be required to work closely with Managers, Supervisors, and individual employees to promote health and safety in the facility, as well as develop safer, healthier and more efficient ways of working.
The Health and Safety Coordinator coordinates occupational health and safety systems within the facility, identifies hazards, assesses risks to the health and safety program, and ensures appropriate safety controls are in place. The Health and Safety Coordinator is also responsible for coordinating training, communications, involvement, and accountability--supporting incident prevention and compliance programs.
• Promote health and safety, security and environmental plans, goals, and objectives.
• Provide support to hourly and salaried staff by having a visible presence on the Production floor.
• Foster good staff relationships to gain commitment from all employees.
• Assist in ensuring compliance with corporate standard operating procedures.
• Assist in ensuring compliance with legislative requirements.
• Administration of health and safety forms including: Form 7, correspondence to WSIB regarding claims and early and safe return to work programs, modified duty reports and tracking sheet.
• Monthly analysis of accidents and injuries and compilation of monthly safety reports including the updating of period reports and statistical data.
• Perform administrative duties of data entry and filing.
• Develop and communicate health, safety, security and environment programs, including facility policies and procedures.
• Conduct job safety analyses (JSA), safe work procedures (SWP), and physical demands analyses (PDA).
• Provide support to and follow up with the Supervisors regarding incident investigation reports; specifically, identifying root causes and following up on outstanding or ineffective corrective actions.
• Prepare monthly safety messages for Supervisors. This includes determining the appropriate topic and ensuring that the Supervisor is prepared and able to deliver the required information effectively.
• Monitor departmental safety activities including safety meetings, inspections, training, task observations, investigations.
• Seek continuous improvement to health, safety, security and environment programs by assisting in inspections and audits, and implementation of subsequent action plans.
• Assess training requirements for management, supervision, Joint Health and Safety Committee members, and hourly employees.
• Conduct and coordinate training sessions for management, supervisors, and employees on occupational health and safety legislation, policies and procedures.
• Work mainly the afternoon shift but have flexibility to engage in a 3-shift operation.
• Reduction/elimination of incidents and injuries.
• Reduction of Workers’ Compensation costs through claims management and incident prevention.
• Maintain safety management systems (i.e., adherence to laws, regulations, and policies) for due diligence purposes.
• Represent company to external auditors and enforcement authorities.
• Reinforce company values.
• Maintain positive relations with employees, management, and external enforcement agencies.
• 1-2 years of general manufacturing experience, 1-2 years of experience in an Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) role is required.
• Bachelor of Science in Occupational Health and Safety, Certificate or diploma program in Occupational Health and Safety, or College diploma or university degree directly related to Occupational Health and Safety.
• Significant knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety legislation combined with training in hazard recognition, assessment, and control.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Strong problem-solving and organizational skills.
• Effective team player.
• Proficient in computer software.
• First Aid and CPR certificate is an asset.
If interested, please apply online and attach your resume with an updated phone number.
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. We ensure that our recruitment practices are supportive of this commitment.