A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The Brand Manager is an integral member of the Brand Marketing team and is responsible for the progress and performance of our Maple Leaf brand (including Prime and Natural Selections). The Brand Manager will bring strong consumer/shopper orientation, well-rounded business acumen with an understanding of our commercial business, together with a passion for winning and growth as they develop and execute plans for Maple Leaf into the future.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Manage the profitable growth of the Maple Leaf brand, including its critical brand metrics (brand share, net promoter score, loyalty) and influence its sales growth alongside key stakeholders
- Develop & execute demand creation strategies and tactics both in and out of store. This includes the brand marketing plans that support share, sales and profit progression across multiple categories and channels. Liaise with category marketing teams to ensure clear understanding of category needs to deliver against plans and help overcome purchase barriers and challenges
- Understand brand analytics (Nielsen, shipments, communications KPIs) to synthesize key insights and measure ROI and effectiveness of marketing programs to inform recommendations for the brand moving forward
- Develop & manage brand annual ad & promo budget, including monthly forecasting and reconciling, ensuring its optimization in all channels throughout the year
- Create a shopper marketing strategy to ensure the brand is executed with excellence, balancing brand mandatories with the ability to plug-into customer strategies. Lead post-mortems for all national programs to distill any learnings
- Oversee digital content playbook and manage its content creation and approvals across platforms and campaigns (inclusive of organic, paid and influencer marketing), inclusive of content schedule and analytics, and overall community management
- Plan for and support brand claims progression and product innovation initiatives to grow and protect brand for future growth
- Manage day-to-day relationship with external agency partners and work together to develop breakthrough consumer communications and shopper engagement from ideation to launch, while collaborating with all key internal stakeholders for alignment
- Provide overarching brand stewardship across all channels (i.e. standards, packaging, executional mandatories, communication campaigns, OOH, in-store displays etc.)
- Execute sponsorship deals, inclusive of its digital and on-site activations and various partnership assets to deliver maximum value
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Bachelor’s Degree plus track record of results within a CPG environment.
- Must be proactive and performance driven, have a bias for action and be able to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience managing a large complex business with a proven success in market with brand management.
- A strong team player, mentor and coach to direct reports & cross-functional team members with well-developed “people interaction” skill set.
- The ability to adapt easily to changing market dynamics.
- Competency requirements:
- Commercial Acumen, Budget Planning & P&L Management – Solid understanding of key drivers of the budget process, sound ad & promo management, and ability to leverage brand marketing to influence P&L outcomes
- Business Understanding and Insights - Demonstrates the ability to understand, manipulate and draw conclusions from internal & external data sources. Demonstrates ability to build, track, and course correct business plans to achieve targets.
- Brand Reviews & Plans – Leads the annual brand reviews & planning process assessing current business. Plans include objectives and strategies for each opportunity, brand investment levels, volume/consumption builds, risk analysis, and an integrated marketing calendar.
- Sales Knowledge & Connectivity - Demonstrates understanding of customer strategies and motivations and applies to marketing planning process & initiative execution.
- Strategic Leadership - Demonstrates big picture thinking with an ability to clearly articulate a strategic direction, justified with sound fact-based rationale. Sells ideas and recommendations through to management convincingly.
- Strategic Communications – To develop and execute disruptive and breakthrough marketing campaigns and creative, with exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Project Management – Experience managing multiple priorities and large business critical projects with timeliness and in collaboration with a strong cross-functional team (both internal and external team members)
- Strong consumer focus – Consumer obsessed and excited in addressing consumer needs with clear insights and research
- Digital fluency – Preference for experience in executing digital content campaigns with winning KPIs
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.