Animal Health & Welfare Technician
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Position key responsibilities are to work directly with breeder and broiler chicken producers, hatchery leaders to improve on farm practices and support hatchery practices including chick quality monitoring, animal welfare tasks and placements. Utilize data collected to continuously drive improvements including MLF chick deliveries, egg quality and chick performance. A variety of lab, sampling, production and quality functions may be required to be performed. This position is a key player in developing and sustaining effective business relations between Maple Leaf Foods and third party poultry producers, to drive continuous improvement on chick welfare, health and performance such that quality and food safety is established and maintained.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Develop a solid understanding of farm and hatchery processes
- Provide field technical services to producers for the monitoring of chick comfort during transport and birds health at placement to improve performance and animal welfare outcomes.
- Support the preparation and execution of third party audits
- Tracking of compliance with Animal Care Golden Rule, current and strategic initiatives related to animal welfare policies and practices at the hatchery and at deliveries
- Trial planning and execution at farms or hatchery
- Support chick quality initiatives at the hatchery and at the farm
- Coach employees, pullet growers, hatching egg producers and broiler producers as required to improve animal welfare and handling practices through monitoring, analysis and/or data interpretation and training.
- Animal welfare auditing of producers facilities to ensure placement and brooding practices are followed.
- Review the training QA program for hatcheries and compliance to the biosecurity protocols for all sites.
- Data compilation and analysis including but not limited to: pathogen results, performance results from hatchery or on-farm trials, results of routine sampling.
- Environmental monitoring procedures at the hatchery and in poultry barns
- Interpretation and delivery of data analysis to Maple Leaf Foods and growers for continued monitoring and training support for continuous improvements
- Creation and/or revision of Standard Operating Procedures
- Provide effective and timely responses to Grower, QA leads and Managers about concerns/issues (may require flexible working hours at times)
- Investigate delivery issues related to live production including high dead-on-arrival or early chick mortality
- Project involvement as required.
- Other tasks as assigned.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Post-Secondary education, could include Animal Science, Veterinary Science, Microbiology, Quality Assurance, or Food Science program
- Experience in agricultural or food industry
- On Farm experience an asset
- Knowledge of National Farm Animal Care Council Codes of Practice and poultry welfare standards
- Field experience an asset
- Ability to analyze results and create recommendations and opportunities for continuous improvement
- Computer Skills: skilled user of Microsoft office applications and Excel graphing applications
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Continuous improvement background and performance
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Able to work independently and in a team environment.
- Good interpersonal skills
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.