A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Responsible for maintaining and managing the facility’s FSQA at the Wetaskiwin Poultry Hatchery. This entails the production and administrative activities as they relate to Food Safety and Quality Assurance, Animal Welfare and planned processes according to CFIA, Business unit and customer requirements. In addition, the candidate will be responsible for ensuring a safe, cost effective and service-oriented department, while providing MLF value-based leadership to employees at the facility.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Supervise a current staff of 1 QA tech with trained back-up to ensure tasks are conducted consistently, efficiently and meet the needs of the business and those of our stakeholders.
- Planning QA staffing requirement according to staffing levels and production demands:
- Management of payroll hours on a daily/ weekly basis
- Employee development
- Vacation scheduling.
- Ensure consistent execution of production and sanitation related activities to produce a quality product through monitoring and validation procedures and processes.
- Maintain or update current QA programs and internal SOPs and compliance with BU and CFIA requirements.
- Assist with HACCP and MLF Food Safety and Quality program updates, maintenance, verification and function as a cross functional liaison to ensure the plant is meeting regulatory and compliance requirements for all stakeholders.
- Lead third party audits (HACCP, Animal Welfare or customer) and prepare/ coach cross-functional managers before and during these audits.
- Lead on follow up and issue any corrective actions, if necessary, based on deviation found in plant process or resulting from customer complaints.
- Conduct monthly animal welfare audit.
- Conduct monthly, annual and new employee training (including orientation) on topics including but not limited to GMP, HACCP and Animal Welfare, and revise training programs as required.
- Lead with cross functional SOP development and ensure that facility SOPs and related documents are in correct format, properly stored and distributed as per manufacturing excellence requirements.
- Assist cross-functional team in investigating incidents and customer complaints.
- Provide functional support to crisis team including functioning as recall coordinator.
- Develop a constructive work environment through excellent interpersonal, team building skills, open communications, encouraging input and constructive performance management.
- Maintain an attitude of continuous improvement and training of employees at hourly and salary levels.
- Take lead on executing various initiatives to improve the quality and safety of our process and products.
- Support QA and Food Safety functions on after-hours shifts as required.
- Support to Six Sigma projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Post-Secondary Education relating to Animal Science, Veterinary Science, Microbiology, Food Science, or related discipline.
- Experience in a food safety or quality assurance role is beneficial
- Supervisory experience beneficial.
- Excellent organizational, project management, multi-tasking and prioritization skills to be able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Innovative and creative problem solving in finding solutions and opportunities.
- Proficient in Microsoft office.
- Exceptional leadership and communication skills.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.