IS Analyst, Database Administrator
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
As an SAP DBA (Oracle, MS SQL Server, HANA), you will play a critical role in shaping the data and database strategy within Maple Leaf Foods. Ideally, you have solid foundational experience in supporting Oracle within a large scale SAP environment. Our SAP environment is comprised of our key S/4 HANA, EWM, APO, SRM, BOBJ, BPC systems as well as numerous other systems. You should have strong hands on experience in the design and architecture of databases embedded in enterprise services, boast expert level knowledge in physical and logical modelling, operate broadly in a global setting, possess good communication skills, and enjoy problem solving both independently and in team settings. You also provide expertise in the definition and design of database solutions, including IT systems, applications, processes and infrastructure, according to established strategies, processes and standards. You will be part of a team heavily involved in design/architecture, best practices, installation, troubleshooting, performance tuning and administration of our various database platforms be they Oracle, SQL Server, or HANA
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Provide strategic best practices on design, availability, replication, security, audit, and backup/recovery methodologies. Continuously re-evaluate the infrastructure for opportunities for optimization.
- Evaluate options and design architecture solution for backend database environments systems in order to support business, technical, and service-level objectives.
- Support the development of strategy, frameworks, best practices and patterns working with architects from other IT functions. Define and communicate the technical roadmap and lifecycle for the components and systems supported by the database administration team.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of technology standards, industry trends, emerging technologies, and software development best practices. Perform proof-of-concept evaluations to assess capabilities and appropriate fit within our architecture.
- Develop database performance benchmarks and optimize database performance through new features/technologies.
- Enact processes for constantly improving the performance, scalability, extensibility, interoperability, reliability, availability, and usability of the database architecture. Review and revise designs according to changing business and technical conditions to continue to meet or exceed service-level objectives.
- Create and manage database metrics for trending including performance, capacity, inventory optimization, and infrastructure design. Monitor key performance indicators and design/revise solutions or enhancements to improve/maintain performance/productivity at acceptable levels.
- Manage internal and external customer relationships, inform and advise project managers and stakeholders about project plans and implementations
- Monitor database performance, identify performance problems and make adjustments to database parameters as needed. Monitor CPU, memory and space usage of existing databases, and project future usage for current and planned databases. Analyze system performance, database performance, system health checks and implement tuning improvements.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Minimum 7+ years Oracle experience in an SAP environment. Oracle 12c is a must while Oracle 19c is desirable.
- 3+ years' experience in various versions of MS SQL Server
- 2+ years' experience in HANA 2.0
- Experience managing large volumes of content, both structured and unstructured.
- Expertise in performance tuning DB, Tuning SQL, backup and recovery.
- Expertise in bi-directional replication technology, in particular SQL Server Replication, Always On
- Expert experience with database administration, design, and deployment in a large, complex organization. Understanding of database packaged releases, patching strategy, and enforcing standards via tools and automation is essential.
- Substantial operational experience in a 24X7 environments
- Experience in the techniques used to build highly scalable, economically feasible and high-performing systems, both backend and web-based systems.
- Nice to have development skills in SQL scripting and Redhat Linux Shell scripting languages.
- Solid knowledge of MS SQL Server and Oracle RDBMS internals. Expert level knowledge in database modeling, backup and recovery, performance tuning, security, and replication.
- Substantial knowledge in database monitoring tool Oracle OEM
- Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal, conflict resolution, and customer service skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player. Ability to be motivated and take ownership of any database related tasks.
- Willingly share knowledge and experience within the IT team.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.