FSQA Technician - Contract
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Successful passing of CFIA regulatory monitoring requirements.
- Adherence to regulatory monitoring programs, as well as liaising with CFIA inspectors.
- Involvement in maintenance and enforcement of HACCP System and BRC protocols and procedures, as it applies to Quality Assurance Department functions.
- Promoting and monitoring for compliance on HACCP and Pre-requisite programs, including GMPs, pest control, trace/recall and safety regulations and programs.
- Performing regular plant inspections to ensure all food safety standards are met and that all related documentation is completed.
- Generating clear and concise Quality Assurance Department monitoring records.
- Accurate generation and follow-up of Deviation reports and Corrective Action reports
- Facilitating and/or enforcing product or equipment quarantine management as required
- Generating reports and notifications through SAP
- Proactively identifying non-conformances against and/or improvements to plant programs.
- Performing microbiological and analytical sample collection for product and environment as required.
- Supporting in-house lab testing procedures as required, including participation in sensory evaluations.
- Assisting completion of CFIA Compliance Verification System (CVS) tasks by providing records and information, as well as providing onsite demonstrations as requested.
- Performing accurate data entry and data analysis tasks.
- Calibration and maintaining departmental test equipment (eg. scales, thermometers).
- Reviewing and verifying documentation is completed accurately.
- Supporting the implementation of changes that advance and improve FSQA programs.
- Providing training, support and coaching to hourly and salaried employees to facilitate FSQA practices and procedures.
- Support to Six Sigma black belts and green belt projects.
- Assist in other quality assurance duties as directed and assigned by Quality Assurance Supervisor.
- Punctuality, reliability and responsibility are essential.
- Shift rotation flexibility required.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- B.Sc. in Food Science or Microbiology, or equivalent experience in food industry
- Modernized Poultry Inspection Program certification is an asset
- Poultry Reject Process Certification is an asset
- Plant operation/production experience is an asset
- SAP knowledge is an asset
- Excellent organizational, analytical and time management skills
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Ability to trouble shoot and problem-solve with sound judgement
- Strong attention to detail
- Proficient MS Office Computer skill
- Ability to coordinate and cooperate with members of other departments
- Collaborate well within a team or individual environment
- Interest and willingness to learn and teach others
- Knowledge of Quality Assurance Program(s), food safety principles and issues
The successful candidate for this position must be flexible to work various shift hours based on business needs.
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.