A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
As a member of the Procurement team, the Supply Specialist is responsible for optimizing inventory management of materials at our facilities to meet service level targets and minimize capital tied up in stock. This team member will also, facilitate new product launches and changes to existing products, minimize material write-offs, resolve issues relating to product delivery and supports cost savings projects. The Supply Specialist plays a key role in close collaboration with our Plants, Commercial Teams, Supply Chain teams, Sourcing Teams and the Supplier Community and is a highly valued member of the Procurement Operations and Governance Team.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Analyze MRP demand signals to place outline agreements (contracts) with suppliers.
- Optimize inventory management by carefully balancing appropriate level of supply to allow flexibility, minimise overstock in keeping with our sustainability and financial goals
- Build strong supplier relationship to mitigate risks around undesired long / short inventory as well as resolving supply shortages, understanding the root causes and recommending corrective actions.
- Collaborate with cross functional teams to manage day to day activities, request for quotes with suppliers, materials are set-up for ordering, extended to all relevant locations, and ensure goods are delivered to the plants to enable business continuity.
- Grow our brands by working in partnership with Commercial and Plant teams to facilitate new product launches, minimize risks and ensure new launch critical timelines are met.
- Work closely with sourcing team on cost savings projects, booking volume contracts, using tools to add agreements into SAP and learn how to negotiate with suppliers.
- Make continuous improvement recommendations that remove waste and add value to our existing processes.
- Obtain a practical knowledge of commodities & services supporting Maple Leaf’s manufacturing operations
- Develop an understanding of cost models supporting procurement processes enabling appropriate cash flow and profit enhancement recommendations.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- 2+ years of relevant experience
- Proficient procurement systems skills (ie. SAP competence, Ariba, Excel, MRP/ERP)
- Excellent analytical & problem-solving skills, exercise good judgement and critical thinking
- Strong interpersonal skills and maintain collaborative relationships with suppliers and internal stakeholders
- Well organized with attention to detail and ability to prioritize time sensitive activities
- Strong oral & written communication skills
- Highly motivated to learn and grow, both personally and professionally
- Take initiative to increase process efficiency and drive cost out
- Foster a diverse and inclusive work environment
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com.