A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging.We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The Director is responsible for providing exceptional business management to their assigned categories by effectively leading a team of high performing Marketing and cross functional professionals. Delivering outstanding business and people leadership will ensure Maple Leaf Foods is well positioned to achieve its commercial objectives.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Steward Schneiders Pepperettes (leading dollar market share and growing 26% YoY)
- Steward our dominant Lunchmate brand ensuring entry of new parent/kid cohorts
- Lead ‘quantum leap’ growth in kits building on successful launch of Schneiders kits by innovating a robust portfolio across Demand Spaces and creating a new destination in store
- Develop and execute the marketing plan to capitalize on the growing trend in snacking and protein with new product and packaging formats: “Be everywhere the consumer snacks”
- Lead general management accountability with direct ownership of the category P&L
- Own the business case for significant asset investment to enable our growth agenda
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- People Leadership – Ability to identify, develop and coach talent to optimal performance levels in pursuit of individual and team goals.
- Commercial Acumen, Budget Planning & P&L Management – Solid understanding of key drivers of the budget process and P&Ls with ability to recommend changes required to move the business forward.
- Business Understanding and Insights – Demonstrates the ability to understand, manipulate and draw conclusions from internal & external data sources. Demonstrates ability to build, track, and course correct business plans to achieve targets.
- Business Reviews & Plans – Leads the annual business reviews & planning process assessing current business. Plans include objectives and strategies for each opportunity, spending levels, pricing/costing assumptions, volume/consumption builds, risk analysis, and an integrated marketing calendar.
- Sales Knowledge & Connectivity – Demonstrates understanding of customer strategies and motivations and applies to marketing planning process & initiative execution.
- Strategic Leadership & Business Planning – Demonstrates big picture thinking with an ability to clearly articulate a strategic direction, justified with sound fact-based rationale. Sells ideas and recommendations through to management convincingly.
- Marketing Communications – To engage on and contribute meaningfully to development of disruptive and breakthrough marketing campaigns and creative.
- Business Communications – Able to distill complex problems and communicate succinctly so the team can move with pace and confidence
- Self-starter and agile – Must be proactive and performance driven with the ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment. Requires the ability to adapt easily to changing market dynamics.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.