Chief Refrigeration Engineer
Considering a Career at Maple Leaf Foods?
Maple Leaf Foods is Canada’s leading consumer-packaged protein company, headquartered in
Toronto, Ontario. We make high-quality, great tasting, nutritious and innovative food products under leading brands including Maple Leaf®, Maple Leaf Prime®, Maple Leaf Natural Selections®, Schneiders®, Schneiders Country Naturals® and Mina™. Our Company employs approximately 11,500 people in its operations across Canada and exports to more than 20 global markets including the U.S. and Asia.
Our people are passionate about the work they do and the products we make. As we move forward, we are determined to leverage their integrity and passion to continue to build a high-performing, values-based company enabled by high-performing, motivated and talented people.
Our poultry processing plant in Bradford, Ontario is currently seeking an enthusiastic, motivated and energetic individual to join the Maple Leaf family. Are you motivated, ready to be challenged and are driven to succeed in an environment that rewards success? Get a fresh start with Maple Leaf Foods!
Reports To: Maintenance Manager
Location: 65 Reagens Industrial Parkway, Bradford, ON
Schedule: Monday – Friday
7:00 am – 3:30 pm
The incumbent will be responsible for the total operation of the plant in accordance with the TSSA Act 2000 and Operating Engineers Regulation (O.Reg#219/01).
Education, Experience & Competency Requirements:
- Ensure total care and control of freon-based plant (moving to ammonia in near future)
- Participates in the development of a preventative maintenance program for areas under his/her responsibility with the Maintenance and Manufacturing Departments
- Ensures daily plant inspection of refrigeration and steam boiler systems and that all systems are operating in a safe and expected manner
- Ensures the recording of data and all relevant information to the operation of the plant under the Chief Engineer's jurisdiction
- Assesses the performance of the operating engineers and takes appropriate actions in line with Company policy and TSSA Act 2000
- Has a bias for action to reduce energy consumption be it gas, electricity, water, and ammonia usage
- Provides leadership by instilling safety, objectives, and measurements; fosters good staff relationships in order to gain commitment from all employees
- Conducts detailed diagnostic audits of each plant, using Six Sigma processes and techniques and provides coaching and direction to the plant's management team
- Negotiates and partners with utility companies and urban government representatives
- Proven team leader, team player, committed to excellence, positive attitude, excellent interpersonal skills
- Willingness to take on additional responsibilities as position requires, including acting as operating engineer as required.
- Recognize, support and commit to the facility food safety and quality assurance promise
- Other responsibilities as required
The successful candidate will be results-oriented, thrive in a fast paced, demanding environment, and have the ability to develop positive working relationships with all employees. Candidates must have:
- Possess maintain a valid and current certificate at all times as a 4th Class Stationary Engineer or Refrigeration "B" Operator
- 3-5 years of maintenance experience in a manufacturing environment
- Good practices and safe operation of power plant
- Proficient computer skills with standard software (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and Windows)
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
- Capable of lifting/carrying 10 kg, up and down stairs
- Previous work experience in boiler, ammonia refrigeration, steam and power distribution
- Troubleshooting experience is an asset
- Previous work experience with PLCs is an asset
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. We ensure that our recruitment practices are supportive of this commitment.