A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The successful candidate will be responsible to ensure that all Food Safety, GMP, HACCP and other Quality Assurance Program requirements are consistently achieved with a sense of urgency at the facility. In addition, the candidate is responsible for ensuring a safe, cost effective and service-oriented department, while providing Values-Based Leadership at the facility. This position will be involved in Pre-op Inspections therefore must be able to work overnight as well as on some weekends when required.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Provide leadership and direction to Operators on the line with particular focus on blending, formulation, CCPs, and documentation.
- Provide guidance on product SOPs and steps in formulating product blends while maintaining traceability and proper documentation of lot codes and batches in SAP.
- Conduct CCP and/or Prerequisite Program training including verification of training effectiveness. This includes training related to implementation of new programs and corrective actions related to deviations.
- Immediately address deviations to FSQA procedures by coaching and re-training.
- Support the investigation of customer and consumer complaints including documentation of findings and drafting responses as appropriate.
- Write and revise FSQA SOPs including maintenance of the product SOPs, FSQA SOPs and electronic directories.
- Maintain and deliver GMP Training and CCP presentations as a member of the plant new hire orientation program.
- Conduct HACCP reassessment, monitoring, and verification to meet regulatory requirements including updates to forms, documents, and programs as required.
- As a member of the cross-functional team, investigate, document (In SAP Non-conformance system) and establish/implement appropriate corrective action to address deviations related to all programs with specific focus on foreign material and quality critical non-conformances.
- Maintain hold and release databases - internal and SAP.
- In-depth analysis of CTQ (Critical to Quality) data as collected in SAP including tracking and trending for interpretation and development of actions to address deviations.
- Support all aspects of audit preparation and execution including documentation, preparation, program review, on-site inspection, training and other duties as required.
- Provide support and guidance to Sanitation manager and contract sanitation crew applicable to food safety related items.
- Perform daily Pre-op inspection as required and ensure all findings are corrected.
- Provide support and direction to Production Supervisors with various startup activities.
- Review and approve packaging label updates in preparation for following day Operations.
- Collect samples and conduct raw material sensory assessment and communicate results to Operations.
- Perform other SAP functions as required such as hold/release program, inspection lot oversight, usage decisions, etc.
- Provide support to hourly Production Operators in delivery of FSQA procedures.
- Participate in management meetings, period review, Town hall meetings, other communication sessions, etc.
- Assist CFIA inspectors with CVS tasks or other support as requested.
- Participate in maintenance of the pest control program.
- Participate in Six Sigma projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Bachelor of Science or College Diploma in Food Safety/Science program or equivalent experience.
- 1-3 years previous experience in a technical food manufacturing role is preferred.
- Strong understanding of Pre-requisite Programs, HACCP, CCP’s and GMPs related to the food industry.
- Intermediate to exceptional MS Office skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organization and planning skills
- High attention to detail
- The ability to work cooperatively in a team environment
- Ability to work with a variety of people and to be assertive as required
- Ability to work effectively under minimal supervision
- Strong time management skills with an ability to work in an environment with shifting priorities
- Willingness to learn and teach others, be self directed and motivated
- Candidate must be business, results, and values oriented
- Work as part of a functional team and be an exceptional fit with our Maple Leaf Leadership Values
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.