A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The Lab Technician role at the Heritage facility will be responsible for the ensuring the accurate analysis of samples received by the laboratory. This includes sample preparation and conducting the required analytical tests that support the laboratory programs through good laboratory practices.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Perform start up/ shut down procedures for the Laboratory in support of the accreditation requirements. This may include equipment start-up/shut down, laboratory disinfection / cleaning, incubator/ refrigerator checks, balance checks, pH etc.
- Perform sample receipt functions as per laboratory protocols. This may include assigning identification/reports identifier numbers and aseptic sampling.
- Calibrate and maintain testing equipment and record calibration / maintenance activities and results as per laboratory technical procedures and/or work instructions.
- Prepare solutions, reagents and /or growth mediums as outlined per Laboratory Technical Procedure and /or work instructions. Position may require handling of hazardous chemical/materials.
- Prepare and conduct microbiological/chemical analyses as directed by the laboratory supervisors and/or delegate.
- Enter test results/ data into the laboratory database. Enter data onto laboratory forms. Verify the accuracy of data entered.
- Assist in the training of newly hired laboratory staff.
- Follow all occupational health and safety and good laboratory practices of the laboratory.
- Provide aid to customers as requested. Such aid is provided within the guidelines established by the FSQA Team Leader.
- Participate in proficiency programs, projects and internal or external audits when required.
- Sensory analysis which may include taste evaluations of pork, poultry and beef containing products. Microbiological tests may include pathogen testing for, and handling of Listeria monocytogenes, E.coli O157:H7 and Salmonella sp.
- Shall demonstrate full commitment to the implementation of the requirements of the Global Standard for Food Safety and to processes which facilitate continual improvement of food safety and quality management.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- Degree or diploma in Microbiology or Chemistry (both preferred) or Biotechnology, Food Science with emphasis on food/environmental biology.
- Minimum 1 year of work experience in a microbiology laboratory or food industry.
- Strong MS Office skills.
- Excellent organization and planning skills, high attention to detail and a willingness to learn and teach others, be self directed and motivated.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Environment - Plant environment (ambient and refrigerated); 24-7, 2 shift operation
Volume & Complexity of Work –
- A fast-paced work environment with multiple, tight and changing priorities
- Travel Requirements – Minimal
- Physical Requirements- Low
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.