A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Under the supervision of the Planning/Scheduling Supervisor, perform production and shipping department support duties. This position performs people scheduling and works closely with the production and HR teams to ensure staffing needs are met
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Compile, maintain and coordinate all data for people scheduling. Including communicating with employees for shift changes, shift cancellation, early call ins etc..
- Responsible for determining requirements and place orders for ingredients, packaging, employee and office supplies needed in the operation with cost, delivery and quality factors optimized.
- Determine, schedule and expedite materials following JIT principles, including follow-up with vendors.
- Coordinate with marketing, supply chain and Q.A. related to the quality, quantity, specification and delivery of materials.
- Make recommendations to plant management and corporate purchasing group where savings in cost and/or better delivery can be realized.
- Coordinate hourly vacation schedule as per CBA rules and production needs
- Work with HR and H&S on daily sick line call ins to ensure compliance and schedule/production needs are met
- Coordinate with Agency personnel to ensure appropriate staffing needs are met and when orientation scheduling required
- Back up to Material control, master scheduling and HR functions / Plant Administrator
- Support production with process orders, labor variances and rescheduling employees throughout the day
- Assist with new product launches and product development needs
- Production paperwork verification, sorting and filing for audit and traceability purposes
- Assist production supervisors with Kronos entries (NOT approvals)
- MSS hourly transactions (Leaves, voluntary terminations, retirements etc…)
- Assist management on the production floor when necessary (vacation coverage, absenteeism, emergencies)
- Back-up responsibilities for material control data entry for manufacturing departments
- Recognize, support and commit to the facility food safety and quality assurance promise
- Participate in and with assignments, teams and six sigma projects as required.
- Other duties/tasks as assigned.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
The successful candidate will be results-oriented, thrive in a fast paced, demanding environment, and have the ability to develop positive working relationships with all employees. Candidates must have:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Preference will be given to those candidates with community college or university education in Operations Management or equivalent experiences
- Must possess strong interpersonal, leadership, presentation and analytical skills
- Self-motivator with an ability to act decisively based upon the facts available
- Previous experience in a food processing industry
- Willingness to learn, live and teach our Maple Leaf Leadership Values
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Work with minimal supervision and be active team member
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.