Health & Safety Coordinator
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The successful candidate will be responsible for assisting in the development, implementation and maintenance of Maple Leaf Food’s Occupational Health & Safety (OHS) programs. This includes but is not limited to assisting in the development of safe work procedures, training, assisting in claims management, investigations, workplace inspections and training coordination.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Assist in the identification and reduction of Health and Safety risks and hazards.
- Assist in investigations into incidents and helps to provide corrective actions with timelines
- Assist in maintaining supply and inventory of health and safety equipment and supplies.
- Maintain HSSE metrics and documentation with the ability to present this information to applicable partie
- Design and deliver training programs for workers, management and Safety Committee members to comply with legislative requirements.
- Ensure documentation is logged and filed for quick reference.
- Maintain the HSSE Training Matrix, make recommendations on what training to complete, and organize training with internal or external vendors for the applicable departments
- Assist the JHSC with scheduling meetings, ensuring workplace inspections are completed and take Minutes for distribution
- Support the H&S Department reporting to the HS Manager
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Post-secondary education in health and safety
- First Aid Certificate would be an asset
- Knowledge of health and safety laws and legislation
- Knowledge of compliance and regulatory training of all personnel working onsite
- Meeting regulatory filing and reporting requirements (OHS related)
- Reinforce company values
- Experience with WSIB Claims
- Knowledge of manufacturing and processed
- Ability to design effective training programs
- Maintain positive relations with employees
- Strong communication, interpersonal, organization and analytical skills
- 1-3 years of experience in health and safety
- Computer skills – Strong proficiency in Excel and Word is required
- Must be extremely organized and a self-starter; able to work with limited supervision
- Enthusiasm for challenge and new initiatives
- Responding to emergencies after hours, flexiable hours
- Covid related involvement
- On the floor involvement with operations , desire to spend time out in production areas, completing daily walk throughs, inspections and H&S initiatives in a live and further processing environment
- Ensure records and documentation are kept protecting Company interests
- Able to identify and integrate into safe work methods high impact behaviours, and develops and applies leading indicator measurements
- Strong communication, interpersonal, organization and analytical Skills. Very detail orientated
- Other duties assigned by HS department
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.