FSQA Technician (Laboratory)
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
As a member of the FSQA department, the Microbial Technician is responsible for performing various duties in the laboratory, and for completed the microbiological sampling and testing in order to monitor plant performance against predetermined targets. You are passionate about safety and promote a culture where safety comes first. You thrive in an environment that is fast paced and have a keen sense for continuous improvement. Your approach is collaborative and offer a forum where everyone feels comfortable to bring forward new ideas.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Maintain an in-depth functional knowledge of all testing performed in the laboratory. Demonstrated ability to conduct all microbiological testing such as Listeria, Total Plate Count (TPC), and ATP swabbing and analysis, water activity measurement, and product testing for microbiological parameters.
- Data entry in a computer database and analysis using statistical software.
- Key member in investigating and resolving Quality and Food Safety-related issues, particularly related to biological hazards.
- Cross-trained in various FSQA responsibilities such as production record paperwork verifications, internal audits, and pre-requisite program monitoring.
- Monitoring of production floor for adherence to GMPs and Food Safety Programs
- Shelf-life Testing – Microbial and organoleptic testing of various meat products
- Cleaning of glassware and media preparation
- Maintenance and calibration of various laboratory equipment
- Follow all occupational health and safety and good laboratory practices.
- Participate in proficiency programs, projects and internal and external audits when required.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Two (2) year Technical Diploma from an accredited post-secondary institution in a related field
- Three (3) to five (5) years of related experience, preferably in a manufacturing setting
- Will be required to work shift work & overtime
- Strong interpersonal, leadership, verbal and written communication, presentation and analytical skills
- Self-directed and professional, Well-developed English communication skills (verbal, written, reading)
- Computer proficiency in email and spreadsheets, and able to learn a variety of other software
- Knowledge of HACCP, health and safety legislation, quality standards and Good Manufacturing programs and practices considered an asset
- Strong employee relations and problem-solving skills
- Candidates applying will be able to work a Wednesday to Sunday shift: 4am-1230pm
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.