ANIMAL CARE TECHNICIAN
Blanshard Pork Sow (Hamiota, MB area)
Starting Wage - $16.00 Per Hour
The Animal Care Technician works directly with the Team Lead and is responsible for carrying out the day-to-day activities in the barn, which involve many physical demands including pushing, pulling, bending, lifting and continuous walking. This position requires the candidate to be part of a team working towards specific production goals, while adhering to health and safety policies and procedures, and following MLAF SOPs regarding the humane treatment of animals under our care.
The successful applicant will be responsible for assisting with all areas of production including the feeding and general care of pigs, maintaining herd health and environment for pigs, pressure washing and preparing rooms, as well as, general maintenance, cleaning and clerical duties including but not limited to maintaining door charts, inventory trackers, ordering feed and medication.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCY REQUIREMENTS:
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills
- Strong communication skills (oral and written)
- Ability to work under pressure and handle multiple priorities and complex tasks simultaneously
- Ability to wear proper PPE and comply with safety requirements
- Ability to lift 25kg
- A valid driver’s licence and the ability to get to and from work located in a rural area is required
- Weekend, holiday hours and alarm attending are required on a rotational basis
- Able to live and teach our Maple Leaf Leadership Values
- Experience in hog production would be considered an asset
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws.
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position. We offer a diverse workforce inclusive to all.