A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Six core values guide us in everything that we do.
FSQA Technician (7 Month Contract – Night Shift) – Saskatoon
- Do what’s right
- Deliver winning results
- Build collaborative teams
- Get things done in a fact-based, disciplined way
- Learn and grow, inwardly and outwardly
- Dare to be transparent, passionate and humble
As a member of the facility's FSQA team, the FSQA Technician spends a majority of their time on the production floor completing analytical sampling and laboratory analysis, and monitoring Food Safety, GMP, HACCP and other Quality Assurance Program requirements to ensure they are consistently achieved. Operating with a sense of urgency, the FSQA Technician is responsible for initiating immediate corrective actions wherever possible and escalating FSQA concerns as required. The FSQA Technician must be comfortable working efficiently in a fast paced food manufacturing environment.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
What we have to offer you:
- Perform and/or assist in daily quality and food safety related decision making based on established processes to ensure products meet the quality standards and food safety requirements of Maple Leaf Foods and its customers
- Responsible for ensuring product SOPs are accurate and available to plant staff
- Responsible for product holds for non-conforming product, and collecting information to assist in determining product disposition
- Perform daily monitoring and verification tasks, including record review and on-site audits/observations, as outlined in the HACCP/QA program and recommend corrective actions for deviations
- Conduct plant audits to ensure GMPs and Plant policies are effectively implemented
- Participate in external in internal audits, as required
- Assist CFIA in completion of Compliance Verification System (CVS) tasks by providing records and information, as requested
- Participate in product traceability events with the ability to quickly trace product using SAP
- Provide training, support and coaching to hourly and salaried employees across all levels of management to maintain and improve facility FSQA practices and procedures
- Prepare sensory samples and participates in sensory evaluations
- Perform data entry and data analysis tasks
- Perform microbiological and analytical sampling for product and environment as required
- Participate in projects and meetings with the goal of improving food safety and food quality
- Assist in the implementation of changes that advance FSQA systems and/or programs
- Perform other duties as assigned
What you will bring:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Career development opportunities. Your career will not stop at this role, this is just the beginning
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- University degree or college diploma preferably in Chemistry, Microbiology, Food Science or a related discipline.
- Self-directed and professional, well-developed English communication skills (verbal, written, reading)
- Computer proficiency in email and spreadsheets, and able to learn a variety of other software
- Understanding of Sanitation, SOPs, HACCP, CCP’s and GMP’s is preferred
- Strong attention to detail
- Interest and willingness to learn and teach others
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent organization and planning skills
- Flexibility in shift start times, ability to work on a night shift
- Demonstrated alignment to the Maple Leaf Leadership Values
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.